Emma is currently...

  • Addicted to: Fruit and nut mix
  • Listening to: Band of Joy - Robert Plant
  • Reading: Naples '44 - Norman Lewis

Saturday 10 April 2010

Post-post-postmodernism?

Since my last post, I have discovered a strategy for getting my essay done. The strategy is to man up, stop whining like a pathetic little emo kid and just do some work.

So I have wound up writing my current essay about the postmodernist elements of the two novels I am studying. However, this has left me very confused. This is why I am confused:
  1. No one really talks about postmodernism anymore unless they're being ironic. Which would make us post-postmodern.
  2. I'm not sure it's even cool to be ironic about postmodernism anymore, because postmodernism is so clearly outdated that anyone who is ironic about it is just stating the obvious. Which makes us... Post-post-postmodern?
  3. I don't have the faintest idea what postmodernism is. And I'm not sure anyone else knows or cares either, because isn't the point of postmodernism that you can't attach a single definition to anything, including postmodernism? In which case you can't define postmodernism as saying that you can't define anything, in which case I am now going to smash my face against the keyboard.
Sometimes I wonder whether my degree isn't just one big joke?

No comments: