Emma is currently...

  • Addicted to: Fruit and nut mix
  • Listening to: Band of Joy - Robert Plant
  • Reading: Naples '44 - Norman Lewis

Wednesday 24 March 2010

In denial?

Monday was the strangest day. For some reason, everyone was being really nice to me. My mum woke me up with a cup of tea, and then she brought in all these presents. I got a new digital camera, and some notebooks and CDS, and lots of books, including original 1930s/40s editions of books written by my ancestor, Cecil Freeman Gregg. Then we went for a walk, and had tea and cake and soup, and then went food shopping so we could make homemade pizza and have a feast with even more cake. And my friends were sending me messages, inexplicably wishing me a pleasant day...

I have no idea why any of this happened. It's not like I'm older or anything. It's not like I'm twenty. I'm going to be a teenager forever, right?

On a serious note, though. I'm twenty now and I need to sort out my life and do something useful. Like write a good novel. Or actually go on a date, or something. I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I have to grow up and start planning what I'm going to do with myself after university, but I really don't want to. So far all I've got is: I want to live in a quaint little flat in a slightly dilapidated building somewhere near London, occupied by lots of eccentric artistic types, and write lots of novels and articles, and wander about the city having tea with all my high-flying lawyer/accountant friends. How I'm going to finance this lovely life, I have no idea.

I might do a Masters in Creative Writing. But I'd have to get accepted onto one first, and apparently they all just teach you to churn out books exactly in the style of Ian McEwan. Which I don't really want to do. I have my integrity! (I just mistyped that as "I have no integrity" - Freudian slip?)

I have done one useful thing though! I had a job interview last Thursday, and received my offer letter today... I am officially an employee of the Royal Household! I'm going to be working at Buckingham Palace over the summer. It's going to be pretty intense - five days a week all summer with no holidays - but I'm really excited. Apparently working there is great fun, and I bet you meet loads of interesting people too. So, if you happen to be visiting London this summer and go to the palace, you might just meet me in one of the gift shops! Though if you said, "Are you Emakoke?" to me, I would look at you like you were crazy and pretend not to know what you were talking about. So don't bother.

On Saturday I'm going to visit my friend on his farm to celebrate his birthday. He has lambs! I might get to hold one! This is an immensely exciting prospect.

That is all for now. I am still young... I am still young...

5 comments:

Tori said...

I missed your birthday! 0____0

I'm sorry! And yes you are still young. Twenty is still very young. At least it better be or that means I'll be old before the end of the year, too. xD

Dayna said...

You are still young! The three of us are just as young as we were when we were in HoF Neopets version. And i don't care who disagrees with me....i'll just blow all the dust off of our HoF book of schemes and they'll never know what hit em.

And you should just make really good friends with someone who is in publishing. That way you won't have to take the creative writing course and still have your dignity/uniqe writing style!

The palace job sounds indeed very thrilling! I bet your going to have loads of fun with it!

And yes, your obsession with sheep! Did you get to hold one!!?? =D

Dayna said...

haha soo if you're going to ignore anyone who calls you emakoke, what if they called you ikea instead xD Or how about just Bet? Or B-Owl? (i'm going to stop there because the list could take days) lol

Emma said...

Don't worry about missing my birthday guys! I'd miss it myself if I could!

I did not get to hold a sheep in the end, though I watched them getting fed. There were some massive ones with horns that looked a bit scary so I kept my distance! The lambs were adorable though!

Emma said...

And if someone called me one of those names, Dayna, I'd know it was YOU. In fact I would already know it was you, because I know what you look like. So there would be no point in denying my identity!